On 6/28/2011 2:40 AM, Dave Collins wrote:
Modern *nix terminals should be using UTF-8 already. On WinXP
console, you need to switch to UTF-8 (code page 65001), then just
write out the UTF-8 bytes. Something like that, perhaps?

Let's pretend we're waaaay overthinking this.

Let's try this:

print ("-" .. " is a hyphen")
print ( ?? .. " is an n-dash")

Without more information, we can only guess at what platform or software you are using.

You need a UTF-8 aware editor, for starters, or you can use escaped character codes in strings.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)