On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Alex Queiroz <asandroq@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
> <javier@guerrag.com> wrote:
>>
>> true, but when the variables don't have a static type, there's very
>> little that can be known without running the code.
>>

>     Not true. A lot can be known without running the code.

amazing.

so, let's me rephrase:  there's very little that a tracing compiler
(like LuaJIT) can know without running the code.

OTOH, if anybody is secretly developing a static compiler with
control-flow analysis and type inference, more power to them!  it
would be a major accomplishment, likely with as many innovations and
breakthroughs in that field as Mike has done in the JIT space.

--
Javier