steve donovan wrote:
[...]
> Ah, but what would be gained from getting _identical functionality_?
> We already have Lua patterns.(And there's always lpeg.re)

Well, for a start it would allow more complex parsers to be made easily
from simple Lua patterns, which are much easier to write than lpeg
parsers, such as...

> Now, if it could work with Lua patterns + alternation, say, then that
> would be worth expending some cycles on.

...lpeg.L("([0-9]+)") + lpeg.L("([0-9a-fA-F]+)")

I think this is a good idea, and probably not too hard.

│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup