On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Cameron Seebach <pannewb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you ever considered trying to make a "portable" version of Lua for
> Windows?

By 'portable' meaning 'support for Unix-like OS', yes, it's very much
part of the dream. Some things only make sense on Windows (LuaCOM,
LuaInterface) and one would want luaposix, but it's very possible. IUP
and wxLua are portable.

> I suppose I could try building a version with MinGW, but after all, the best
> programmers are lazy programmers. Or so a professor once told me.

Again part of the grand plan!  The mscrt80 runtime is getting old
anyway, and working with the MS runtime is a pain; gcc is now
competitive with the MS compiler these days, so I can't think of any
good reason to stay with MS.  And then the idea would be a common
source base that can be portably built; best candidate so far as
LuaDist as build-the-universe environment.  Peter Drahos and David M
have already put a lot of effort in getting mingw builds of the
libraries, including LuaCOM.

steve d.