On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, but we do not live in such a perfect world, so I must be prepared
> to receive strings as either UTF-9 or the current code page, and
> convert them appropriately.

really?  do you _have_ to support codepages?  accept my condolences...

i find hard to believe that "if you're too lazy to use UTF-8 then be
happy with pure ASCII" is not an acceptable requirement for developers
on this day and age.

and, of course the easiest (and most flexible) solution is to still
accept only UTF-8 but providing a handy cp2utf8() conversion function.
 preferably on a separate package.

--
Javier