On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<javier@guerrag.com> wrote:
> IMHO, using (or even suggesting to use) codepages is going backwards.
> if you need anything more than plain 7-bit ASCII (and who doesn't?)
> then just use any decent editor to put UTF8 in the strings.

Ah, but we do not live in such a perfect world, so I must be prepared
to receive strings as either UTF-9 or the current code page, and
convert them appropriately.  That is the key point, the rest is
straightforward.

The MultiByteToWideChar reference [1] in fact warns people that saving
stuff not as UTF-8 or UTF-16 will lead to unhappiness.

steve d.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd319072(v=vs.85).aspx