On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 3:04 AM, Gaspard Bucher <gaspard@teti.ch> wrote:
> Hi Josh !
> Just out of curiosity, why didn't you just use Msgpack ? It's very compact,
> fast to parse, supported by many platforms/languages... [1], and creating
> Lua bindings takes just a couple of lines of C [2].
>
> Gaspard
> [1] http://msgpack.org/
> [2] https://github.com/lubyk/lubyk/blob/master/modules/msgpack/vendor/lubyk.c#L193

Being a binary format it's not easy to parse in other languages, and
it's not backwards compatible with our old stuff. Being able to bind
it from another language isn't the same as being able to easily
implement it in another language.

I personally was never much of a fan of msgpack's implementation either.

Cheers,
Josh.