> Eventually, I hope that different libraries will be able to exchange
> data as byte arrays instead of strings (where this makes sense),
> reducing allocations and avoiding hashing.

I don't quite get the difference. In Lua strings actually are byte
streams. Is it eventually about byte streams/strings that are not
interned? (unique)?

Instead of a byte module, I'd think bigger, and suggest to immediately
to typed arrays.
This is the one of newest additions to JS/ECMA, and I heard its quite cool:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/JavaScript_typed_arrays