On 05/01/2011 02:49 PM, Alexander Gladysh wrote:

[...]
Even given that knowledge, the change in the language comes with the
compatibility price. You create your own private dialect, which is not
compatible with the rest of the world. (Also, LuaJIT2.) You force
yourself to live within your own tiny closed ecosystem.

Not necessarily closed: if the change is backwards-compatible, your code cannot flow out of your "ecosystem", but most or all of the external resources can flow in.

[...]
But times change. Not many
can afford to have a custom language fork in the project and forgo
benefits from community-written libraries

Again, not necessarily the case, as above. Of course, if the "community-written libraries" themselves require a custom dialect, that's different -- but then sticking to the standard won't help you either.

Of course, I agree that a little self-restraint should be the first thought before creating non-standard environments, but if one has carefully considered the alternatives and the consequences, we should all be free to make our own choices.

-- David