Suppose you have just written a posix-like utility (like find, grep,
etc..) which is implemented in both  lua and C modules. What would be
the best way to ship that program?

I'm working on a small script that implements a basic find-like tool.
I was thinking of coding my own loader as a small C program and
linking lua statically. While looking for info about embedding I found
this article:

http://www.twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph/rant/extendit.html

It talks about python but I'm wondering if it applies also for lua.

After reading it I'm thinking the best option will be to write a
loadable module that could be used by any lua interpreter, but also
compile that small C loader program so users could just make install
and use the script w/o having to install lua system wise.

Writing a luarock and providing a bin script is a 3rd alternative, but
that could possible be more difficult for non lua programmers.

EmmanuelOga.com - Software Developer