On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 15:30 +0200, Philippe Lhoste wrote:
> Quick test: downloaded the 4.7_lfw version (strange name as it doesn't seem directly
> connected to lfw) and unzipped it. Big package: 14 MiB! That's Qt...

Well, it is a binary package compiled against Qt 4.7 and the Lua
binaries found in LfW, so that's the naming. And about the size... Well,
Qt is a full-blown "runtime environment" for C++, with GUI, file,
networking and database support. And as I said elsewhere, the bindings
are unfortunately almost as big as the libraries themselves.

However, given today's disk capacities, it is a small price to pay for
the convenience...

> Did:
>  > set LUA_CPATH=";C:\Languages\Lua\lqt\lua\?.dll;C:\Languages\Lua\lqt\qt\?.dll"
> to test the little test files found in the Git snapshot.
> Most of these test files work fine, except three:

My fault, I didn't update the Windows binaries, will do it later when I
have access to my Windows machine with Qt.

> Knowing nothing about Qt, I won't comment on the above. But the running demos are
> interesting (a bit too elementary, alas).

Well, I have written only a single "big" application with lqt, a "visual
language editor", where the visual language is based on Lua and
hypergraphs. The main thing used from Qt was the GraphicsView framework,
with a lot of drawing (custom graphics items and connectors), but it was
all relatively simple to do in Lua.

> Would you recommend a good tutorial about Qt would apply nicely to your Lua wrapper?

I read the official Qt book [1], which explains a lot of details about
Qt, but if you are looking for tutorials, you should see [2], and the
demos [3].

[1]
http://developer.qt.nokia.com/books/view/c_gui_programming_with_qt_4_2nd_edition_the_official_c_qt_book
[2] http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/tutorials.html