> There have been to few examples of how to do what I want in 5.1 and
> none I've seen in 5.2 that I see this change as for worse, not better.

Every single mechanism in a language is quite valuable for those that
use it (even when few do), and a very small inconvenience for those that
do not (even when many do not). Unfortunately, this thinking is a recipe
for bloated software.

> > Again, use a weak table in the registry for thread specific data.
>
> Sounds like rubbish when you expect to have 1000's of threads, one per client connection.

What do you mean? That a table entry is a too big overhead when compared
with the cost of creating the thread in the first place?

-- Roberto