Pretty high on my wishlist for such a tool would be that it generates an SQLite database.

This means that the parser is totally separated from the rendering engine and that those of use with CMS backends can sync the content. It could allow partial updates and make it trivial to implement any kind of output, including MVC websites.

By using a database, we could even have two parsers (Lua, C/C++) working together to build integrated documentation with cross references and such. For the C/C++ parsing part, we could use Doxygen's xml output and insert it in SQLite (I might be doing this xml to database transfer anyway for Dub [1] because of memory usage issues with large projects).

Gaspard

[1] http://lubyk.org/en/project311.html

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Sam Roberts <vieuxtech@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM, joshua simmons <simmons.44@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jakob and myself have been toying with this idea for quite a while now.
> https://github.com/JakobOvrum/Loco Not super useful yet but we've just been
> throwing around ideas really.
> If people could define what they need from a documentation system that'd
> probably be good.

Should work for code both implemented in C, and in lua, and in a
mixture of C and lua.

Should support lightweight markup, javadoc-style is OK, markdown with
some extensions would be nice.

Should be able to figure out function/method name and parameter names
from the definition.

Should be able to be told whether functions are intended to be called
as methods (: with implicit self).

Would be really nice to have an abstract output (lua tables...?), with
a concrete generator for HTML, but  the possibility for man pages,
text, xml, etc.

Thats my with list. I've a cheesy utility that I use because its
simple, gives text output, and hides the difference between C and lua
(and doesn't do much else).

And personally, I don't care what language its written in, as long as
the language has built-in regular expressions. ;-P

Cheers,
Sam