On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Alex Bradbury <asb@asbradbury.org> wrote:
I think the key is to be clear about what you're providing, which is
almost definitely going to be XML subset support (XML parsers are
hard). See what Glib offers for instance:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.28/glib-Simple-XML-Subset-Parser.html.
I would strongly encourage you to adopt such an approach - in that bug
reports stating "this nasty XML from my real-world app won't parse"
are met with a suggestion to use a proper XML parser. This also means
the Penlight XML implementation can be relatively lightweight, easy to
read and maintain.

I completely agree!

I mostly support the inclusion of such an XML subset due to the
use-case for parsing and writing config-files etc. It's difficult to
decide in general where the boundary should lie. I definitely agree
networking and databases etc belong in separate projects. I could
imagine LTN12 fitting in well to Penlight, or I guess the
try/protect/newtry system from Luasocket too.

<snip>

To throw another possible Penlight addition into the ring - what would
you think about offering something like ilua (as a library) in
Penlight? This could allow you to drop to a REPL at a certain point in
your code to help debug, or make it easier to add REPLs to simple GUIs
which embed Lua. Just a thought. Plus presumably it can re-use all the
Penlight pretty-printing stuff which is most of the work.

This is exactly the kind of thing I think Penlight should do. Include helpful application type modules to use as a base for most Lua applications written.
--
Regards,
Ryan