On 22.03.2011 3:37, Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
It seems that there are a lot of people calling it bloated and buggy and even professionals seem to stick to a subset because it's so big.

Would Lua allow me to stick to an even smaller subset? If so, do you have any recommendations about what parts of C++ to skim over and to use Lua for instead(like perhaps the string library?).

I'm not a C++ professional, I spent most of my time in Delphi, but here are my thoughts. If you're fine with C, you have nothing to worry about. You can write the same good old C code in C++, but the better thing to do is to use C++ style, thus the the first things to exclude from the subset are some legacy functions and approaches that come from C. I do think that C++ is somewhat ugly at times and has a lot of gotchas. As funny as it sounds, the main problem for me is lack of certain features. It contains many complex feaures, but doesn't contain some simple ones that work just right. For example, it doesn't contain modules support and uses includes mechanism, inappropriate for the task in certain ways. It has no simple way to statically import functions from libraries, but instead a program to create LIBs from DLLs. The OO of C++ (excluding templates) is mostly inferior to that of Delphi, but more complex. I can explain this statement later if someone is interested. Yet I do adore macros and templates. Macros also illustrate what I'm talking about, but relevant to C. They are 'evil' just because there are no inline functions in C, thus macros are used where they shouldn't be. Another problem is lack of standardization, when you can do the same thing the C way, the C++ way and the Microsoft way, e.g. char*, std::string and CString.

--
Best regards,
Sergey Rozhenko                 mailto:sergroj@mail.ru