On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 18:23, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> Francesco Abbate <francesco.bbt@gmail.com> writes:
>>> BTW: The use of size_t for anything but actual memory sizes is not
>>>     a good idea. I guess int32_t would be a much better fit here.
>>
>> Hmmm... this is not my choice but standard GNU coding practice and GSL
>> library stick with it. They use systematically int for integers and
>> size_t for unsigned integer.
>
> Wait, what?
>
> That's certainly not standard GNU coding practice to my knowledge, and
> I've never seen any GNU code that does that (and I've seen _lots_ of GNU
> code)...
>
> -miles
>
> --
> 97% of everything is grunge

Actually, Francesco is right about coding standards in GSL. They use
size_t consistently to define anything that can potentially be used as
an array index. And permutations are indexes.  They even declare
gsl_vector.stride as size_t. Presumably to skip over rows longer than
2^32 elements long in dense matrix layout:-)

--Leo--