On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Wim Langers wrote:

> The actual pattern creates objects from the match time captures.  Since the
> data has a tree structure these objects combined with other data generate
> encapsulating objects etc...

That doesn't require match-time captures. You only need match-time
captures if you need to use Lua code to determine whether or not a match
occurred. Just constructing a parse tree should be done with normal
captures.

> Your explanation sounds logical (given my very limited knowledge of LPEG),
> but then why does the following example behave "as expected" (my pattern
> further stripped down) ?

No match-time captures. Normal captures are evaluated after matching has
completed, after all backtracking has been resolved.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Irish Sea: Southeast 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first. Moderate becoming