Hello,

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 16:55, Ivan Baggett <ibaggett@bagotronix.com> wrote:
And yet, still no PIC32 support.

Yes, for the (we-can't-pay-for-every-number-of-kits-necessary-for-the-ports-we-do) reasons that Bogdan has mentioned and also because users have commented on our list that an initial PIC32 port was to be started.
We try to concentrate now on the core functionality, on new eLua features, on more doc and on some refactoring to make it easier for the final users. New ports and the enhancing of existing modules can count on the community, specially on those that will make commercial uses of them.

 IIRC, I started this thread a few months
ago by asking if anyone had added PIC32 to the list of ported chips.  Yes,
I know, do it yourself...story of my life.

Another option is to be part of a open-source project with true distributed and collaborative development model and share your thoughts. Some of our ports had their priorities decided by the community, some others were triggered by simple would-like-to-have comments on the list and all of them have code contributions from the whole community.

PIC32 can be had with up to 512K flash, 128K RAM.

As well as some others, including the new Kinetis Cortex-M4 from Freescale and, to mention another architecture, Atmel's AVR32  (which is being used on the open-hardware Mizar32 Italian design from SimpleMachines). I think STM32 models are getting there too.

 And built-in ethernet
MAC.  I once tried to start a design with a Luminary ARM chip, but found
there was (at that time) no stock and long lead times, so I had to pick
another chip.  PIC32 was that chip.

True, LM3S Cortex-M3 lacks a bit of RAM but they were the first to release a Cortex-M3 core with enough memory to happily run eLua and they were quite ahead at the time. This resulted in nothing less than Texas Instruments buying Luminary Micro. They have already launched chips with 96KB or RAM (the 989B series) and more is on the way.

--
Best regards,
Ivan Baggett

Best regards