Hi Michael,

My Lua/APR binding [1] includes lots of C source code plus a few 'sugar' functions as you describe them. The easiest way I've found to combine them is more or less as you envision it:

There's a Lua script which is loaded on require 'apr', this file is named "apr.lua" [2] and is placed in one of the top level directories in Lua's module search path. The first line of this script contains:

	local apr = require 'apr.core'
	-- .. and the script ends with ..
	return apr

The binary module is called "core.so" ("core.dll" on Windows) and is located in a subdirectory "apr" in one of the directories in Lua's binary module search path. The loader function in the binary module [3] is called "luaopen_apr_core".

The nice thing about this scheme is that your Lua script can remove some functions from the module table created in C and save those functions in local variables. Now your Lua functions can call the C functions to perform low level tasks and the C functions don't have to be foolproof because you'll be writing the code that calls them.

 - Peter Odding

[1] http://peterodding.com/code/lua/apr/
[2] http://github.com/xolox/lua-apr/blob/master/src/apr.lua
[3] http://github.com/xolox/lua-apr/blob/master/src/lua_apr.c