On 11/02/2011, at 7:12 AM, Mike Pall wrote:

> So what magical things does that C++ code do and why can this not
> be written in Lua? No, you don't have to answer that, better work
> on fixing it.

One use case is calling Lua functions from numerical libraries.  For example, ipopt [1] is a C++/FORTRAN library that finds a local minimum of a nonlinear optimisation problem.  ipopt calls a set of user-defined functions to evaluate objective functions, constraints and various derivatives.  Rima has an interface to ipopt now, so in that case ipopt is calling Lua functions repeatedly.

You're right, someone *could* rewrite ipopt in Lua, but, for me at least, that seems about as hard as rewriting LuaJIT would be, and anyway, maybe next week I'll want to use couenne [2].  I don't expect any magic from LuaJIT to help in this situation, but I think it does occur legitimately.

Cheers,
Geoff

[1] https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt
[2] https://projects.coin-or.org/Couenne