Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

As "American" means "Citizen of the U.S.A." they are the same.

a lot of non-USian-americans find that offensive

Javier,

That is politically correct nonsense. I have friends from all across Mexico, Central and South America, and the Carribean, and none of them has ever referred to themselves as Americans. In fact "Americano" is most often used as a pejorative, specifically referring to US citizens in a not to polite manner. They may refer to themselves as Hispanics, Indians, mixed blood (to some that is a point of pride), or most often as natives of whatever country that they come from, with some generic references to whatever native culture they regard themselves as being from either tribally or from some country across the globe, but unless they have lived for long in the US or are US citizens, I have never heard them call themselves Americans in any language, several of which I understand well enough to know. I suspect that more than a few authors of this language might call themselves Portuguese from time to time, and almost all of them would call themselves Brazilians, but they would never call themselves Americans, though they might vaguely refer to themselves as South Americans, though only when it specifically came up.

In any case, the point is the same. Cuba is a difficult place for US citizens to reach, so anybody organizing such a meeting might want to consider that if they want participation from US citizens. I suppose that your next two suggestions will be Venezuela and Bolivia.

Everett L(Rett) Williams II