On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>> They can be _much_ less efficient than text properties when used in
>> large numbers... (so it's not recommended to use them for typical
>> syntax-highlighting type uses)
>
> They are not very efficient, true.  I should have written down why I
> preferred them over text properties, but I think it had to do with the
> fact that changing overlays does not count as a buffer modification,
> but changing text properties does.

What typical modes do is simply inhibit the recording of buffer
modification during fontification -- of course most modes use
font-lock, which does this automatically.  [Using font-lock is
probably a good idea generally.]

>> I'm kind of confused what to do about lua-mode...
>
> If the python-mode situation is any guide, GNU Emacs integration is a
> bad idea because it will eventually lead to fragmentation.

The python-mode situation is not a guide (it's a clusterfuck to be
sure, but a large part of this is because some of the people involved
are a bit loony).

Anyway, I'll write my own mode to include in Emacs if I have too, but
I'd much prefer not to....

Thanks,

-Miles

--