On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> The make target for linux still needs to include ncurses in order to
>> compile on certain Red Hat flavored distros, including Centos.
>>
>> linux:
>>         $(MAKE) $(ALL) MYCFLAGS="-DLUA_USE_LINUX" MYLIBS="-Wl,-E -ldl
>> -lreadline -lncurses"
>>
>> This is in the 5.1.4 Makefile, but someone either forgot why or
>> thought that the RH bug this addresses might have been fixed by this time.
>
> Indeed. We mostly have Ubuntu nowadays here and plain -lreadline works
> fine for them and others, such as Mac OS X. Thanks for the report.
>
> This has been discussed here before:
>        http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2010-11/msg00220.html
>
> Now, should it be -lncurses or -ltermcap?

For reference: in my box I have libncurses* and don't have libtermcap*
(and it's a fairly complete desktop machine with X, KDE, etc.). 'make
linux' from lua-5.2.0-alpha worked fine; no need to modify any flags.

I also logged into a Fedora 13 box and got the same results with the
build. In a 32-bit Fedora 13 box there are both libncurses.so and
libtermcap.so; in a 64-bit Fedora 13 box (with no build tools
installed), there was only libncurses.so and no libtermcap.so
installed. So, I'd say go with "-lncurses".

-- Hisham