> Naturally, it takes a while to understand them well, precisely because
> they are not common outside Lua.

How abouot http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/?

Cooperative multithreading is/was quite common. Windows 3.x was all
about it! Ruby has(had) green threading as well.

It just has become "uncool" in large, cause we all so want to gain
from multicores. Personally I dont like to write my applications with
native threading, cause the likeness of the pains of finding some
obsucre race condition, deadlock or that other bug you cannot find
ever cause some forgotten mutex.

Id just answer to that question "yes, there is lua lanes as well as
built in green threads called coroutines in lua"