On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> that Lua has a much smaller footprint because it has no Regex. And yet the
> fact is I can do anything with string.gsub() and string.match() than I can
> with Perl Regex, and Perl Regex is considered the Cadillac of the industry.

Yeah, and using % instead of \\ makes it easier to read!  In fact, Lua
string patterns are at the right level.  PCRE has enough extra power
that seriously bad eye-bleeding results have been produced.

On the footprint story, I recall my former colleague Duck's comment on
Lua: that it was a whole language smaller than some string libraries.

steve d.