On 01/23/2011 07:55 PM, Chris Babcock wrote:
Warning: Long, hypothetical, web app oriented and not at all specific
to Lua. (I'm fine with follow up going off-list, too.)

> [hypotheticalness omitted for brevity]

Okay, to be honest I'm not sure if I entirely get this, but it seems like what you're saying is that LASI could be a way for Web applications and servers to dynamically reconfigure themselves to support different modes of operation (i.e. coroutines vs. OS threads). The goal of this would be to allow a single server to run multiple applications, and tune itself to each of them.

This is one of the coolest ideas I have ever heard (although a bit impenetrable at first). However, it's kinda overreaching LASI's goals, which (for now) are just to be a well-specified and easy-to-use server interface. (That, and supporting both OS threads, forked processes, and coroutines in the same server is likely to be somewhat problematic.)

Though it reminds me a bit of the "Setup Environment" section of the "Python Web API 1.0" draft I have linked from the spec. The premise is that the callable request handler is obtained from *another* callable (since the draft is for Python, classes are likely to be used) that is passed a "setup environment" containing all of that information about the server ahead of time, so it could prepare appropriately before the first request even hits. That might be worth looking into.

Chris
--
51st century guy

--