> ./lua test.lua works OK on the appliance:

If this ./lua is the one you built, then Lua seems to be working fine
and to be able to load and run dynamic libraries.

> /var/tmp> ./lua -lsocket
> ./lua: error loading module 'socket' from file './socket.so':
>         Unable to resolve symbol

Then it seems that socket.so needs some other symbols, probably
a system library or something. If you're sure ldd is not available
(perhaps it exists but is not in your path), try nm -u -g socket.so
and see which undefined symbols exist. (I hope nm exists in the system.)

BTW, I found this ldd for uClinux with Google but I can't vouch for it.
http://pt.sourceforge.jp/cvs/view/uclinux-h8/uClibc/utils/ldd.c?hideattic=0&revision=1.1.1.2&view=markup&sortby=date