On 01/22/2011 07:28 PM, Jim Whitehead II wrote:
I'm going to tag onto Chris's responses for many things here, but I
want to say something about this. Your assertion that WSAPI is only
used by Kepler servers and applications just isn't necessarily true.
My entire production website runs as a single Lua script that uses
WSAPI. I don't use anything of the Kepler stack other than some of the
non-web related libraries, and WSAPI itself. I've run this server
under Lighttpd, Apache and a few other servers simply because its an
executable script.

Whoops. I guess that was a bit of a fail. Though when I said "Kepler servers" I was referring more to "Kepler connectors," like the CGI and FastCGI connectors they maintain in the WSAPI library. (I probably should have clarified that more.) About the only WSAPI connector I have seen not part of a Kepler library is the one with HTTP.lua (though if I'm wrong about that too feel free to let me know).

That's the major advantage of WSAPI.. it already works everywhere.
That's not to say that something 'different' isn't a good idea, but is
it going to be much of anything other than a transformation or
different form of what WSAPI already does? Getting a 'standard' in Lua
is hard enough as it is it seems like it would be a bit tragic to
abandon one that we have =).

I'll concede that the job it does is very similar to WSAPI. The main difference (besides the API style) is that it's not bound to a specific library for most of its implementation. If you look at the manual page for WSAPI, there are about six paragraphs and a code sample that actually specify the interface, and even then it's very loosely defined. It seems to me that it was mostly designed so that servers could have an interface to run the Kepler libraries, because there's very little specified on what's available to the application side.

- What do you think about the ideas in the blog post? Do you think a new
style of interface is necessary?

I personally don't have all that much use for it until I see more. I
can already take and wrap a WSAPI application with whatever data
structure I'd like and access the data, while having the consistency
across the stack. I do this now and it makes my life easier.

A reasonable viewpoint. I don't expect this to take over from WSAPI immediately, even once there are servers and libraries for it.
--
Regards, Matthew Frazier