Leo Razoumov wrote:
> Recently there was a discussion on this list about memory limits of
> JuaJIT2 on x86_64 platform [1].
> Currently the memory available to a Lua state in LuaJIT2 is limited to
> 1GB. Will this limit go away in the future? Will the new integrated
> allocator/GC help here?

It will be 2GB (or maybe 4GB) with the new GC in LuaJIT 2.1.

> I am using (abusing) Lua for data analysis and quite often deal with
> Lua tables with millions of entries (one can increase MAXBITS to 30
> w/o harm). Even though LuaJIT is vastly superior for this task, I have
> to use conventional Lua interpreter, for it imposes no such memory
> limit.

You could use the FFI. The FFI handles full 64 bit pointers and
you can manually manage huge memory areas, up to the limits of
your OS, by calling malloc()/free() via the FFI.

Since the FFI allows creating arbitrary C structs at runtime, you
can still have a lot of flexibility in your data structures.

--Mike