In my opinion you mixed some things up, In C you have to travese an
array as well to get the index of a value in it, without having a
hashtable to store the indexes.

> local t = {'x', d', 'e', 'f', 'n'} (I randomized the values so less confusion)

This means in Lua
t[1] = 'x'
t[2] = 'd'
t[3] = 'e'
t[4] = 'f'
t[5] = 'n'

So if you have the key 2, its position is 2! Easy as that. If you have
the value 'd' you need to either run through i/pairs() or have a
second table for value -> key.

A C is in no way different:

*p -> 'x'