Hi Alex et al,

I ran into this behavior again, when writing a random /set, insert, remove/ routine to test a table counter, implemented as core patch.

The counter worked all right. But my double checking lua code kept failing. In other words: I found it exceedingly difficult to predict the effect of insert(t,n,) on the number of elements in the table. Like, that actual number that you can traverese. Nils and holes or however you call it or regard it, separately or in one, /not/ counted.

Until I got the impression that insert(t,n,v) is in fact becoming un-predictable at some point. Without knowledge of the past, it would seem impossible to predict whether insert(t,n,v) will actually insert a value, and grow the table, or instead replace a value in the table, deleting what was at the specified key position.

The value of t[n] is no prediction. Taking #t is no help either. That might be according to spec, but my point is not whether it works according to spec. I wonder if it makes any sense.

And more to the point, I wonder, still, is there any gain by allowing insert(t,n,nil)? <-- nil

On an abstract level, should a function that is to be used only on a data type A be allowed to make type B from it, as a mere side effect, and thus render any next use of itself on the same data to be of undefined effect? It's not a data type transformation function, after all.

Of course the reason for the trouble is that you lose strictness. That's what you do by inserting nil. You would know that. But would you know that insert() might thus start to replace values now and then? Not always but sometimes? Could that ever be intended behavior? Like you have the options to

  • use insert(t,n,nil) once and then never again use it
    OR
  • live with that insert(t,n,v) may from then on sometimes replaces values?
Even if I am getting it all wrong -- it invites a mean sort of error.

With nil as allowed third argument, you can never be sure at what point your program starts to replace values in the table, instead of pushing them up, for any n ~= #t.

Trivial case, no nil: insert(t,n,v) pushes up as expected:

t = {}
table.insert(t,1,'a')
-- { 1:a }
table.insert(t,2,'x')
-- { 1:a 2:x }
table.insert(t,2,'y')
-- { 1:a 2:y 3:x }

Replace effect: one nil, re-use of index: insert(t,n,v) replaces a value

t = {}
table.insert(t,1,nil)        <-- insert nil into empty table
-- { empty }
table.insert(t,2,'x')        <-- that's your mistake, you should not use 2 here.
-- { 2:x }
table.insert(t,2,'y')        <-- using 2 again
-- { 2:y }                   <-- table value at key 2 has been replaced.

The nil needs not come first.

And two consecutive nils can make the replace effect happen faster:

t = {}
table.insert(t,1,"x")
-- { 1:x }
table.insert(t,1,nil)      <-- insert nil into filled table, makes hole
-- { 2:x }
table.insert(t,1,nil)      <-- kind of aggravates the hole so the following happens
-- { 3:x }
table.insert(t,3,"y")      <-- yes, 3, it's a used key after all
-- { 3:y }
table.insert(t,3,"z")      <-- also replaces
-- { 3:z } #0

Here the same again with #t added for inspection. The key to avoid the trouble is to monitor #t. But since it tends to drop below a chunk that might be interesting for your, isn't that making insert(t,n,v) pretty much useless? In these samples here it gets 0. It mostly wont in real cases and still almost make insert(t,n,v) useless, because it restricts your choices for n, possibly as harsh as down to 1. What use could that leave over insert(t,v) == insert(t,v,#t+1)?

Trivial case, sane #t.

t = {}
table.insert(t,1,'a')
-- { 1:a }  #t=1
table.insert(t,2,'x')
-- { 1:a 2:x } #t=2
table.insert(t,2,'y')
-- { 1:a 2:y 3:x } #t=3

Replace effect: #t gets 0 because of holes, so insert starts to replace sometimes.

Lets define i as the number of inserts you made.

t = {}
table.insert(t,1,nil)        <-- insert nil into empty table
-- { empty } #t=0
table.insert(t,2,'x')        <-- 2 is <= i but not <= #t+1 as probably expected.
-- { 2:x } #t=0
table.insert(t,2,'y')        <-- using 2 again, still <= i, still not <= #t+1
-- { 2:y } #t=0              <-- table value at key 2 has been replaced.

The main thing is #t going 0, not the holes themselves:

t = {}
table.insert(t,1,"x")
-- { 1:x } #1
table.insert(t,1,nil)      <-- hole
-- { 2:x } #2
table.insert(t,1,nil)      <-- #t goes 0
-- { 3:x } #0
table.insert(t,3,"y")      <-- replace with index NOT used before (but > #t)
-- { 3:y } #0
table.insert(t,3,"z")     <-- replace with index used before
-- { 3:z } #0

The table can be 'healed' and the replace-behavior, for the same index, go away.

That can be nice and it can make it almost impossible to track, if happening in error:

-- continued from above:
table.insert(t,1,"o")
-- { 1:o 3:z } #1
table.insert(t,2,"p")
-- { 1:o 2:p 3:z } #3      <-- table 'healed'
table.insert(t,3,"u")      <-- same index again, no replace effect this time
-- { 1:o 2:p 3:u 4:z } #4  <-- everything dandy again from here on in

Making only one hole only delays the replacement effect:

t={}
table.insert(t,1,"x")
-- { 1:x } #1
table.insert(t,1,nil)       <-- hole
-- { 2:x } #2
table.insert(t,3,"y")       <-- no replace
-- { 2:x 3:y } #0
table.insert(t,3,"z")       <-- same index, replace
-- { 2:x 3:z } #0
table.insert(t,1,"o")       <-- healed
-- { 1:o 2:x 3:z } #3
table.insert(t,3,"u")       <-- same index, no replace
-- { 1:o 2:x 3:u 4:z } #4

I am only opting for throwing an error for insert(t,n,nil), because insert(t,n,nil) may be useless and dangerous.

The above is the part about the perceived danger. I think it is really bad.

I can't see any use case that justifies that, in the face of this.

Best,
Henning