On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 07:01, Thomas Harning Jr. <harningt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:21 AM, HyperHacker <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> local lua_version = tonumber(string.match(_VERSION,'%d*%.%d*'))
>>>
>>> will allow the test
>>>
>>>    if lua_version >= tonumber('5.2') then -- etc
>>>
>>> Dirk
>>>

>> I had been wondering why aside from _VERSION there isn't some variable
>> with the numeric version number for this purpose.
> Perhaps a major/minor variable would be good to have... converting 5.2
> to a number will work until they come out with version 5.10 (depending
> on how they do versions...)... fell into that hole when working with
> LPeg and doing version management.
>
> Perhaps the best way to work with versions is to do feature detection
> by the presence/non-presence of functions/variables.  The danger in
> this is if a function's "signature" or behavior changes, though it
> seems this has been rare for the core Lua functionality.
>
> --
> Thomas Harning Jr.

Mhm, one solution would be to use integers: 5.1 => 501, 5.10 => 510.
In fact this is a major reason that I use binary-encoded dates for
version numbers...
I don't think having major and minor fields would help much, as when
you do that, for some unfathomable reason it becomes a common
anti-pattern to check only the minor version, so your program fails on
6.0 because 0 < 1. I believe this was a problem Microsoft encountered
when wanting to bump the Windows version to 6.0 as well.

--
Sent from my toaster.