Exactly, I want to write x86 assembly code, not Lua VM assembly code.

As for why not C ? C is fine, but I'd prefer to not write out a *.c
file, call gcc, compile it to a *.so, and load it back in -- just
something self contained.

The standard 90/10 rule is to write 90 % of the code in lua, the 10%
compute intensive part in C++/C. I'd prefer to write that 10% in
assembly ... but using lua as a macro langauge for generating said
assembly.

Cheers