On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 12:05:23AM +0200, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> That said, my inclination would probably be toward making the change to make
> the language behave the way the spec suggests but then there needs to be a
> highly-visible caveats section about code moving from 5.1 to 5.2.

How highly visible?  E.g. this:

* In the "Welcome to Lua 5.2" document, under Changes, say:

The reference manual lists the incompatibilities that had to be
introduced.

* In the Table of Contents of the reference manual: put an entry at
chapter level, called:

8 – Incompatibilities with the Previous Version

Let the first section of the chapter be:

    8.1 – Changes in the Language

* Let that section consist of a list of bulleted entries, the second
of which says:

    Doing a step in the garbage collector does not restart the
    collector if it has been stopped.

Would that be OK?

Dirk