> Currently, if you stop the garbage collector (collectgarbage'stop')
> and later force a full collection (collectgarbage()), the collector
> restarts running. How many of you rely on this behavior? Wouldn't
> it be more useful to keep the collector stopped until an explicit
> call to collectgarbage'restart'?

Just to make myself clear: I meant to keep the collector stopped *after*
doing the requested full collection.

In other words, currently the call collectgarbage() is equivalent to the
sequence collectgarbage(); collectgarbage'restart'. The proposal is to
remove this implicit restart. After the full collection, the collector
keeps its running status (stopped or running) as it was before the
full collection.

-- Roberto