Leo Razoumov wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what makes JVM perform so well?

See: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2010-12/msg00935.html

Also, have a closer look: the numbers for GCC, JVM and LuaJIT+FFI
are just a couple percent apart. This doesn't say much about which
compiler produces better code in general. It only says that these
three are more or less "on par" for SciMark.

But naturally LuaJIT has to catch up on many other benchmarks
(just consider ~3 man-years vs. hundreds). I've looked at a lot of
generated machine code in the past years and I'm fairly certain
that GCC is the performance leader in general.

--Mike