On 12/9/2010 12:13 AM, John Passaniti wrote:
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
When we write about Lua (e.g., [1]) we try to give proper
credit to all significant prior work, being it from the Lua
community or not; we surely will give proper credit to
Reuben if we write about the bit library. [...]

As far as I remember, the progression of what is now called bitlib
went something like this:
[snip]

The current alpha code in 5.2 doesn't appear to be based on my,
Reuben's or Mike's code, so I don't know if it makes much sense to
credit any of us except in some abstract functional sense.

Thank you for taking the time to fill in some details.

To clarify, by "credit", I do not mean an issue of direct usage of code; I mean that bit32 will basically be supplanting the position of a library that was pioneered by you and others. (Of course, not completely, but you get the idea...)

In this case, it may not be worth much value in an academic paper; it may also be a small library that is well within the means of many of us to write -- but it did go before bit32 and people used it. And now a form of it has been adopted.

To me, it may not be significant to say a PhD examiner, but it is not an insignificant contribution or predecessor.

Thus, as bit32 eclipses some of the older stuff, I think it does not hurt us materially to show some recognition for the latter. A pity the "thanks" page is so democratic...

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)