> D'oh, you're right, sorry about the noise (but I was advocating the
> first definition, anyway) -- now you're officially entitled to hit me
> with a stick as well. :)

The main problem with the first definition, as you already pointed out,
is its inability to work with mixed tables. This is something pervasive
in Lua.

The other two definitions solve the problem of determinism (as they
boil down to be the minimum and the maximum index that satisfies the
current # definition), but do not add many more useful cases and are
(as also pointed out) much more inefficient.

-- Roberto