> It sounds like an "environmental" problem rather than a problem with
> Lua.  How do _other_ infrastructures cope with this in windows?

Agree this is a windows problem. This is IMHO the biggest weakness of
windows, it has no DLL versioning. All people do nowadays is coding
the version into the name of the dll. like microsoft itself e.g.
delivering "mfc42.dll" for the version 4.2 of its fondation classes.
And there is no way to link simply to "the newest version". What all
sane software on windows does, is to provide an installer that comes
with and installs all the libraries you need with it. Thats what I'd
suggest for you. Or just link statically.