I am attempting at some length to come to grips with the registry, the environment, etc.

After careful analysis of the current setup, I discover this anomaly:

Reference manual section 4.5:

> As with global names, string keys starting with an underscore followed by uppercase letters are reserved for Lua.

However in lualib.h there appears this:

#define LUA_FILEHANDLE		"FILE*"

This is used to create a metatable which resides in the Registry.

However this is a metatable created by a Lua library, and therefore should be reserved. That is, its name should start with an underscore. eg.

#define LUA_FILEHANDLE		"_FILE*"