Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
This way a novice programmer (not knowledgeable of the C inner workings of Lua) could think that unpacking a 10,000 items array should be doable, and instead get an error (maybe in production code).

In Lua 5.2 the limit seems to be 1,000,00.

Good news! (I suppose it is a typo and you meant 1,000,000).
I did not test 5.2 (just skimmed over the refman and peeked around in the source). I did all the test in 5.1.4 (sorry I forgot to mention that) and in a 'real' (no test) script I really hit that 8,000 limit.