On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> For Linux, the Makefile in 5.1 used
>        -lreadline -lhistory -lncurses
>
> In 5.2 it is now
>        -lreadline -lncurses
> but many current Linux (e.g. Ubuntu) do not need any additional library
> to use readline. This is the case with Mac OS X as well. Some Linux
> (e.g. CentOS 5.5) need -ltermcap and don't have -lncurses. (Perhaps it's
> just the one CentOS I have access to.)
>
> I've tried to find out what is the official way to use readline but failed:
> readline seems to work with either -lncurses or -ltermcap.
>
> Also, I no longer have access to several flavors of Linux; around here it's
> mostly Ubuntu and CentOS and a couple of old Fedora.
>
> Anyone has thoughts on what to use for the various Unix targets in Makefile?
> Or on what targets to include or drop? My previous plea on this subject
> did not get much response:

IMO, the Makefile target could act as a reference manual and may
record as many targets as you can.

Being a lua user (I embedded lua into my application), I'll always
create my own Makefile to build lua with my application and just use
the official Makefile as a reference manual.