Not only had I misunderstood the workings of _ENV but I realize
now that for some years I had also misunderstood the scope of
Shook's patch. I realize now that the patch applies not only
to local statements but also to general assignments. I had presumed
it for local statements alone, which is the only place that I have
use for it. By restricting the patch just to the function
'localstat' in lparser.c, whose code has not changed for some
while - certainly not between 5.2(w2) and 5.2(w5) -
I have managed to get the more restricted syntax that I want,
namely:

      local <varlist> in <table_expression>
.
Thank you, Juris Kalnins, for sending me the patched lparser.c
for 5.2(w2) last February.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/