steve donovan wrote:
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Lorenzo Donati
<lorenzodonatibz@interfree.it> wrote:
Sometimes I wish that stock Lua had a bit more support for "system
dependent" features.

A common wish!

The key thing is to have access to the basic services. For instance,
Windows is glued together with COM, so one can do a lot with LuaCOM -
WMI, shell, etc.  Have Alien around, so you can pull in a few API
functions when needed (Visual Basic had that tradition ;))
Yes, but that requires a fair amount of knowledge of WinAPIs, which is a can of worm for itself (at least from my POV), unless you limit yourself to some very simple "one-shot" function calls.

Ah! By the way, I had problem with Alien since it requires luarocks for installation and I have a fairly complicated custom layout for programs on my PC and I hate 'installers' - I definitely prefer software that can be "unzipped and run" ("portable" software - the other meaning ;)).

Instead I tried 'cinvoke' and works fine, but I only used it to interface to AutoItX.dll in order to access its registry manipulation facilities.

Is there some reason why 'cinvoke' is rarely mentioned on this list and all the focus is on 'Alien'? Are there some limitations or problems with it?

Am I missing something about it?

--Lor