steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> writes:
> The responses have been like this:

You leave out one of the best reasons to dislike "." calls:

6. It makes the language less consistent and more complicated (and thus
   makes programs harder to understand)

I'm like most people, I think, in that sometimes I accidentally use
"." in a Lua method call, because I'm very used to programming in
other OO languages.  Then I find the bug, and grumble a bit.

So you might say I _should_ be in favor of such a feature.  But the
fact that it adds more "magic" makes me take take pause; it feels like
something that might be one of those "good ideas" which seems
appealing at first, but turns out to be a ball of hair in the long
run.

-miles

--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]