> THE MAIN GOAL: Using just the dot syntax, automatically add a self parameter when a function requires it.
> status - planning, prototyping

I am not too fond of this. Considering that there are no explicit objects, and tables are the one-size-fits-all complex data type, I kinda like that lua syntax explicitely distinguishes between calling a function that is stored in a table (dot) and calling said function as a method. This adds magic and introduces behaviour that is not imediately clear when reading the code. As in:

some.stuff()

is "stuff" a method of "some" or just a function? This is immediately clear with the current syntax.

However, that's just me and I know that some people want to do everything using dot notation only, so they might like it.

Gunnar