On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Stuart P. Bentley <stuart@testtrack4.com> wrote:
> I downloaded the source and provided it the path to that:
>
>  C:\Users\Stuart>luarocks install ao
> LIBAO_DIR=C:\Users\Stuart\Downloads\libao-1.0.0

LuaRocks expects to be given the path for installed binaries of
external dependencies -- it doesn't know how to compile third-party
libraries.

> Ignoring the obvious errors that I don't have cl in my path and don't have
> an lao.obj, isn't luarocks supposed to provide some sort of contained
> compilation solution on Windows, and shouldn't those -I parameters be quoted
> (since the first one goes to a path with spaces)?

No, LuaRocks does not provide a contained compilation solution in any
platforms (it does not ship cl on Windows just like it does not ship
gcc on Linux), it merely uses the compilation system available. For a
number of rocks there are precompiled Windows binaries, meaning you
don't need a full compiler setup, but most of them don't have it.

(Sorry about the late reply, somehow this got stuck as a draft and was
not sent earlier.)

-- Hisham