On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 15:55:06 -0400, Hisham <hisham.hm@gmail.com> wrote:

No idea how to install Libao on Windows, but once you get it installed
somewhere, you should be able to run:

luarocks install ao LIBAO_DIR=c:/somewhere/

-- Hisham

I downloaded the source and provided it the path to that:

C:\Users\Stuart>luarocks install ao LIBAO_DIR=C:\Users\Stuart\Downloads\libao-1.0.0
  Installing http://luarocks.org/repositories/rocks/ao-1.0.0-1.src.rock...
cl /MD /O2 -c -Fosrc/lao.obj -IC:/Program Files (x86)/Lua/5.1/include src/lao.c -IC:\Users\Stuart\Downloads\libao-1.0.0/include
  'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
  operable program or batch file.

  Error: Build error: Failed compiling object src/lao.obj

Ignoring the obvious errors that I don't have cl in my path and don't have an lao.obj, isn't luarocks supposed to provide some sort of contained compilation solution on Windows, and shouldn't those -I parameters be quoted (since the first one goes to a path with spaces)?