On 9/3/2010 7:01 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:

If I'm not completely mistaken, I read about at least a couple of usable GUI
abstractions in the Python world. But you seem to want to abstract from the
language binding as well.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use a graphical DSL instead of a textual one? For
example, you could use the Qt designer to model your GUI, and then generate the
platform independent GUI representation from that. Or use an HTML editor and map
the HTML/CSS output to Qt/GTK+/whatever. Few people write user interfaces
manually these days.

One example of this type of abstraction is exactly what is provided by the
Storyboard product from Crank Software (the company I work for):

http://www.cranksoftware.com/storyboard

It uses Lua as the scripting logic "glue" and standard image resources for
the graphical presentation and then can generate output to run on multiple
rendering engines (ie OpenVG, OpenGL, A window system, raw to device driver
etc).

You might want to take a look at that as an approach.

Thomas
--
Thomas Fletcher
Crank Software Inc.  ---  www.cranksoftware.com