BTW, you told me about debugging Lua...  There are some IDEs out there
that can debug Lua code, but is there any standalone application (like
gdb for C/C++) that does that?  What about debugging techniques?  I'm
already looking for it in my favorite search engine, thanks :-)

If by standalone application you mean a software piece able to debug any Lua
code embedded in any C program, I would suggest Decoda. This debugger
unfortunately only runs on Windows and is a shareware, but it is very powerful.
It automatically places hidden breakpoints on Lua API functions (using either
the dynamic library entry points or the PDB symbol file), so that it can trace
every Lua activity. You can then for example place a breakpoint on a code
snippet loaded with luaL_loadstring().